The Best Sweet Potato Casserole is layered with smooth and creamy mashed sweet potatoes sprinkled with brown sugar and a pecan mixture making these irresistible. A sweet and savory side dish that is perfect for the holidays!
Get ready for a life changing moment with this sweet potato casserole recipe. If you love sweet potatoes like us try this Roasted Honey Cinnamon Butter Sweet Potatoes, 3 Ingredient Candied Sweet Potatoes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes or this Sweet Potato Hash.
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
The best sweet potato casserole that has amazing flavor and is perfect for Thanksgiving.
This is a MUST have, MUST make for the holidays!
Sweet potatoes are bright, warm and all about fall!
I love the colors they bring out when served and how delicious they smell as they are cooling off.
They are just what you need this holiday season!
One of my favorite side dishes is the sweet potato casserole.
I can’t tell you enough how life changing this sweet potato casserole recipe is.
It is by far the BEST, the VERY BEST sweet potato casserole I have ever had.
I am a food blogger, so you know they have to be that good.
Rich, thick and creamy sweet potatoes in every bite with a brown sugar and chopped pecans over top leaving this a savory and sweet side dish everyone will love!
How many calories are in sweet potato casserole?
When it comes to holidays the calorie count is out the door for me!
I love to enjoy and savor all the good food that I can.
Soak up all the great thanksgiving dinner recipes that are traditional and classic.
With this sweet potato casserole you are able to feed about 12 to 15 people.
Of course, all depending on who is eating your sweet potato casserole and how big their serving is.
This will be about 1/2 cup a serving each and will average about 339 calories per serving.
What you need to make sweet potato casserole
Simple ingredients for a simple and delicious sweet potato casserole.
This is a tried and true favorite that we never miss out on at our holiday dinner.
Your sweet potatoes come together quickly and easily by simply mashing them.
Adding a bit of brown sugar can help add flavoring and sweetness.
This is a one irresistible side dish that is loved by all!
- Sweet potatoes: soften and mash your sweet potatoes ahead of time.
- Brown sugar: adds sweetness to the potatoes.
- Eggs: makes it have a rich and creamy texture.
- Vanilla: just a dash for extra flavoring.
- Milk: smooth and creamy texture.
- Butter: melted and added for a richer flavoring.
- Brown sugar: adds sweetness and a bit of texture.
- Flour: separates and ensures no clumping with the sugar and pecans.
- Melted butter: holds everything together and helps bake the topping perfectly.
- Pecans: chopped and mixed in for a crunchy texture.
How to cook sweet potatoes for a casserole
There are a few ways of cooking sweet potatoes for this sweet potato casserole recipe.
First, you need to soften your sweet potatoes so they are easy to mash.
You can either roast them or boil your sweet potatoes. Both ways will help soften the sweet potatoes.
You can find use my Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe for more help and tips on how to cook sweet potatoes.
To roast the sweet potatoes:
- Rinse and completely dry the sweet potatoes. Poke the potatoes with a fork about 4 times.
- Lay the potatoes on a large baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 1 hour at 400 degrees. Potatoes should be fork tender.
- Once done, let the potatoes cool slightly and then remove the skins, they will easily peel off, and this can be done with your fingers.
- Give the potatoes a quick chop and add to a large bowl for mashing.
To boil the sweet potatoes:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil for about 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Strain the water out and add the potatoes to a large bowl for mashing.
How to mash sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes can be mashed using several methods.
It mainly comes down to preference and what you have on hand.
Any way will still give it a creamy and smooth texture that will be savory and delicious!
Using either of these methods will leave you with a rustic style mash, a mix of creamy potatoes with sweet chunks mixed in.
Mashing with appliances:
Using either of these will leave you with epically smooth and creamy mashed sweet potatoes.
How to make sweet potato casserole
Once you have your sweet potatoes ready and mashed together, you are ready to start on your sweet potato casserole.
I love to cook this in my cast iron dish and serve it hot.
This is a sweet and savory sweet potato casserole recipe that I can never get enough of.
Bring this irresistible, life changing sweet potato casserole to your next holiday meal.
It is a simple recipe that won’t last long!
- Layer the sweet potato mixture: Prepare a 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
- To make the topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, melted butter and chopped pecans. Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake and serve: Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cooked throughout and the top is lightly brown.
Variations of sweet potato casserole
I can’t get enough of how perfectly layered this sweet potato casserole is and looks!
From a savory base to a sweet and crunchy top, you can’t go wrong with this sweet potato casserole recipe.
It is the best side dish for the holidays.
Adding or changing the toppings are fun to have a variety or switching it up every year.
With this tried and true sweet potato casserole recipe you will sure please all your friends and family this year.
- Nuts: not a fan of pecans, try other varying nuts that have a sweet and savory crunch to them or just leave them out if needed. Walnuts or almonds are always a great choice.
- How to make sweet potato casserole with marshmallows? marshmallows are so fun to use and brown perfectly leaving the top layer beautifully glazed. Simply skip the brown sugar topping and add it with 1 cup of mini marshmallows. You will want to bake this the last 5 minutes. Bake until golden brown!
- Seasonings: sometimes I like to add in a pinch of pumpkin pie spice or a little cinnamon to add a hint of fall in the sweet potato casserole recipe.
Tips for making sweet potato casserole
This life changing sweet potato casserole is one delicious side dish that won’t last long.
For creamy, silky smooth sweet potatoes use a blender or a hand mixer to puree them as best that you can.
Try marshmallow or other nuts for a few extra varieties and tips how to make them rich and delicious!
You can’t go wrong with this sweet potato casserole recipe.
- Steam, broil, roast or microwave the sweet potatoes in order to mash them easier.
- For a silky, smooth sweet potato puree them in a food processor or a hand mixer rather than by hand.
- Add in marshmallows, nuts or different seasonings for a variety of sweet potato casserole recipes.
- Get creative and arrange the marshmallows in a decorative pattern.
- If using marshmallows be sure to add these at the end of baking for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Storing sweet potato casserole
With the holidays around the corner the more prepared you are the better.
This sweet potato casserole recipe can be made in advanced.
I have made this simple and easy on you for your Thanksgiving day.
Here are the ways to help you store it properly making this the BEST thanksgiving day with this sweet potato casserole on your table.
- Can you make sweet potato casserole ahead of time? Yes! This recipe is great for making ahead of time. Simply assemble your sweet potato casserole in the casserole dish and cover with wrap or foil. This will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days long.
- Can you freeze sweet potato casserole: Yes, simply assemble the sweet potato casserole and cover tightly. Place in the freezer for up to 1 month. Do not thaw. Heat in the oven frozen at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour or until cooked through and warm.
- How to store sweet potato casserole: Once your sweet potato casserole is cooled off store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Warming up: When ready to warm up the sweet potato casserole place in the oven or microwave until it is warmed through.
More Thanksgiving recipes to enjoy
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 12 people
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole is layered with smooth and creamy mashed sweet potatoes sprinkled with brown sugar and a pecan mixture making these irresistible. This is a MUST have, MUST make for the holidays!
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Prepare a 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
To make the topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, melted butter and chopped pecans. Sprinkle over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until cooked throughout and the top is lightly brown.
Updated on November 14, 2019
Original Post was on November 6, 2014
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 5172IU103%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.