Strawberry Pretzel Salad has a sweet and salty pretzel crust, cream cheese middle, and a jello strawberry layer on top. Perfection! Everyone loves this salad!
When I did my BBQ round-up idea and found this recipe, I knew I had to make it. I have seen it everywhere and it looks so amazing and perfect for summer! I was curious to know how a pretzel crust would taste and the result was fantastic!
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
I especially loved the layers in this dessert. The crunchy saltiness from the pretzel crust covered with a smooth and tangy cream cheese middle, and finished off perfectly with a fresh, sweet strawberry jello layer on top! This was everyone’s new favorite and it didn’t last long at all! I am so glad I finally gave this recipe a try because it is a keeper!
When I am in the mood for something sweet but not too rich, this is my first choice. There is just something about how perfectly balanced all the flavors and textures are that keeps me coming back for more! Adding big chunks of fresh strawberries to the jello is part of what makes this pretzel salad so special. That hint of freshness is just right! I also like to finish it off with a big swirl of whipped cream on top! Altogether, it is like heaven on my fork! This strawberry pretzel salad should be at the top of your list of new dessert recipes to try this week! Your friends and family will thank you!
Pretzel Salad Ingredients:
- Pretzels:Use small, salted pretzels (either sticks or twists are fine) so they will be easier to crush.
- Brown sugar: Gives a rich sweetness to the pretzel crust.
- Butter:The melted butter helps bind the pretzel crust together.
- Instant strawberry jello: You can use sugar free here if you would like without changing the flavors too much.
- Fresh strawberries: I love the fresh sweetness the strawberries add!
- Cream cheese: Room temperature so that it can beat together with sugar easily.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness to the creamy layer.
- Cool whip: Thaw in refrigerator and fold into cream cheese and sugar mixture.
How to make Strawberry Pretzel Salad:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ingredients for the pretzel layer: In a mixing bowl, combine crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter.
- Cook pretzel crust: Press into a lightly greased 9×13 pan. Bake for 8 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool completely.
- Make the jello: Follow package directions to make jello. Once cool, mix in the fresh strawberries. Let refrigerate for an hour or so to let it partially set.
- Make creamy center: Beat the cream cheese and sugar together with a hand mixer until creamy. Fold in the cool whip with a spatula.
- Build finished layers: Spread the creamy mixture over the top of the pretzel crust completely to the edges so the jello won’t leak through. Then, pour the jello over the cream cheese layer and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Can you make this ahead of time?
Strawberry pretzel salad is best when made at least half a day in advance. It needs at least four hours to set up, or preferably longer. It will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator. If you are making it ahead, be sure to use cool whip instead of whipped topping because it doesn’t soften the pretzels overnight.
- Mix up your fruits and try an Orange pretzel salad with orange jello, crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges, or any fruit and jello flavors/colors you like!
- If you decide to use whipped cream (by beating 1 cup heavy whipping cream until stiff and fluffy), I would add 2/3 cup sugar to the cream cheese to add back in some of the sweetness. Also, refrigerate the cream portion for 45 minutes to give it more time to firmly set.
Tips to Make the Best Pretzel Salad:
- Measure 2 1/2 cups of whole pretzels
- Spread cream portion from edge to edge of the pretzel layer to keep the jello from seeping through to the pretzels and making your crust mushy.
- Gently pour room temperature jello over the cream layer to prevent cracks in the cream layer.
- Allow each layer to cool/chill completely before adding the next layer.
- The Jell-o needs to be room temperature before you pour in the fresh strawberries. Otherwise, the heat will cause them to wilt.
- You can use frozen strawberries instead of fresh.
More Fresh Strawberry Salads:
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
Servings 16 people
Delicious sweet and salty pretzel crust with a cream cheese and strawberry layer. This is perfect for summer!
- 2 1/2 cups pretzels crushed
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 6 ounce box instant strawberry jello
- 1 16 ounce container of fresh strawberries sliced, or 1 10 ounce package frozen strawberries
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 8 ounce container of cool whip
Make the jello according to package directions. Mix in the fresh strawberries. Let refrigerate for an hour or so to let it partially set.
Pour the jello over the cream cheese layer and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
Updated on May 9, 2020
Originally Posted on July 19, 2013
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 316 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 512IU10%
Vitamin C 18mg22%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.