Looking for a fun and tasty treat that doesn’t involve baking? This edible cookie dough will definitely hit the spot. No need to steal those risky bites of cookie dough anymore, make an entire bowl of this safe to eat cookie dough!
This edible cookie dough can be added to ice cream or eaten straight from a bowl. Even store a batch in the refrigerator and enjoy a spoonful as a snack when the craving hits! This dough is completely safe to eat! If you’re looking for a baked cookies though, this dough won’t work. But make sure you check out: The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER, Easy 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies, or these Chewy Oatmeal Cookies.
Edible Cookie Dough
Can we all agree that the best part of making cookies is sneaking in those little bites of cookie dough. Why is cookie dough so much tastier than baked cookies?! With this completely safe to eat, edible cookie dough, we can easily enjoy those bites of dough without any risk, and without the extra task of having to bake cookies! Enjoy a spoonful, a small bowl, or add small bits to some homemade ice cream. However you want to enjoy it, this edible cookie dough is completely irresistible.
How to make edible cookie dough:
- Heat treat the flour: this can be done in the oven or the microwave.
- Cream butter and sugars
- Add in salt and vanilla
- Mix in flour
- Slowly add in milk until desired consistency.
Is cookie dough safe to eat?
Typically cookie dough is not safe to eat, this recipe is designed to be completely safe to eat though!
Most cookie doughs involve raw eggs and raw flour. There is a risk in eating either of these ingredients without cooking. People who are immune compromised or pregnant should avoid eating raw eggs.
Eggs could possibly contain salmonella and should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160℉ to kill any possible bacteria.
Flour is another ingredient that shouldn’t be eaten raw. During processing, flour isn’t treated to kill germs. It is packaged and sold raw. Flour could possibly contain E. coli and should also be cooked to an internal temperature of 160℉ to kill any possible bacterias.
How to heat treat flour:
- Oven: preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the flour onto a large baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes, flour should not be browned or toasted looking. Ensure that the flour reached an internal temperature of 160 by using an instant read thermometer.
- Microwave: place flour in a microwave safe bowl or dish. Heat for 30-45 seconds, up to 1 minute. Check the temperature of the flour using an instant read thermometer.
After heat treating, be sure to run the flour through a sifter to help break up any clumps that formed from heating. This will prevent any lumps in your dough.
- Chocolate Dough: replace 1/4 cup of the flour with 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. (Cocoa powder doesn’t need to be heat treated.)
- Peanut Butter Dough: replace 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of peanut butter.
- Birthday Cake: replace 1/4 cup of flour with 1/4 cup of yellow cake mix (cake mix would need to be heat treated just like flour). Instead of using chocolate chips use colorful sprinkles.
More Dessert Recipes To Enjoy:
Irresistible Edible Cookie Dough
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 6 scoops
A fun and tasty treat that doesn’t involve baking! This edible cookie dough will definitely hit the spot. No need to steal those risky bites of cookie dough anymore, make an entire bowl of this safe to eat cookie dough!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350℉. Spread flour out on large baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes until flour reaches internal temperature of 160℉. Or can add flour to a large heat safe bowl, microwave for up to 1 minute until flours internal temperature reaches 160℉.
Run the flour through a sifter to break up any clumps made from heat treating.
In a medium size mixing bowl add the butter, light brown sugar, and white sugar. Cream together.
Add in the salt and vanilla extract. Stir together.
Stir flour into dough mixture.
Add milk in 1 tbsp at a time stirring, add just enough to reach desired consistency. Dough will be soft.
Stir in mini chocolate chips.
Serve immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Storage: store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Once chilled, the dough will need to be softened slightly to eat. Heat in microwave for 15-30 seconds, just enough to soften.
Baking: This cookie dough is not able to be baked.
Irresistible Edible Cookie Dough
Amount Per Serving
Calories 374 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g60%
Vitamin A 506IU10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.