an instant pot rice pudding recipe that gives you a creamy consistency without the addition of any cream. with just four 4 basic ingredients (flavorings excluded) make the best rice pudding in the instant pot.
instant pot rice pudding
1. type of rice: i have been making both rice pudding and the indian rice pudding (kheer) in the instant pot. while i do prefer using basmati rice for the indian version, for the old fashioned rice pudding my preference is arborio rice.
the extra starchy arborio rice makes the pudding creamy and thick. so there is absolutely no need to add any cream or eggs. that said, you can use any rice grain variety like basmati or jasmine rice for the rice pudding.
2. instant pot setting: to make rice puddings, i always use the porridge setting in the instant pot which is automatically timed for 20 minutes. you just need to tip in all the ingredients.
then press the pudding button and let the instant pot do its work. after 20 minutes give a 10-minute natural pressure release (NPR).
3.time: the recipe just takes about 25 minutes to cook in the instant pot and you can always adjust the consistency (thin or thick) as per your liking.
i always add a bit of more milk to avoid the burn sign. later using the instant pot saute option i simmer the pudding for a few minutes to get the desired consistency.
for those who do not know – arborio rice is short-grained italian rice having a high starch content. the extra starch helps in making any dish creamy when these rice grains are used. arborio rice is used to make popular rice-based dish from italy – risotto.
i make risotto on occasions. so when i have some arborio rice left which is not enough to make a risotto, i end up making rice pudding with it and what a difference these rice starchy grains make.
the slight chewiness of the arborio rice with the creaminess is a delight to have in a pudding.
after investing in the instant pot for some months now, i have been using it like a pro. i do all my indian cooking in the instant pot.
in fact, i even make pasta and noodles, ferment idli batter, yogurt and even use the instant pot like a slow cooker. what i like about instant pot is the ease of use and cleaning.
i have been getting many requests to share instant pot recipes for the last two years. i delayed and postponed buying the IP for some reason or the other.
finally one day after getting an email from a reader for sharing instant pot recipes, i decided buy one. it has been one of my best buying decisions and has really helped me in multi cooking everyday food.
gradually, i will be adding instant pot recipes on the blog.
how to make instant pot rice pudding
1. take ¼ cup arborio rice (65 grams) in the inner steel pot. if you want you can rinse the rice once or twice which is what i do. you can use basmati and jasmine rice. if using basmati or jasmine rice reduce milk to 2.5 cups
2. add ¼ cup unrefined cane sugar (75 grams) and 1 pinch salt. you can use white sugar instead.
3. pour 3 cups whole milk.
4. stir and mix with a spoon. cover and secure the instant pot with its lid and position the steam release handle to sealing.
5. press the porridge setting button which has an auto timing of 20 minutes.
6. after 20 minutes when you hear the beep sound, give a natural pressure release (NPR) of 10 minutes. after 10 minutes lift the steam release handle and when the float valve falls down, open the lid.
7. the rice would have formed a few lumps in some places. so break these lumps with a spoon. no need to break all the lumps. just mash a few.
8. add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
9. add your choice of nuts. i added 10 almonds (slivered) and 1 tablespoon golden raisins.
10. press the sauté button and set time to 4 to 5 minutes on medium. once the beep sound is heard and you see the pudding simmering, stir often so that the pudding does not burn or scorch from the bottom.
11. break any lumps if any while stirring. you can cancel the sauté mode before the set time of 4 to 5 minutes.
12. keep in mind the consistency you want as on cooling the pudding thickens more. i keep a slight flowing consistency in the hot rice pudding. later switch off the instant pot when the pudding is thickened to your desired consistency.
13. serve this creamy instant pot rice pudding hot or warm or chilled. when serving garnish with some sliced almonds and raisins.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
natural pressure release:10 mins
Servings (change the number to scale):4
creamy rice pudding in instant pot without cream. egg-free recipe.
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
- ¼ cup arborio rice – 65 grams
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup unrefined cane sugar – 75 grams. white sugar can be used instead
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 to 10 almonds – slivered or chopped
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg (nutmeg powder)
take the arborio rice in the inner steel pot. if you want you can rinse the rice once or twice in a small colander or strainer (which is what i do). you can also use basmati and jasmine rice. if using basmati or jasmine rice reduce the milk quantity to 2.5 cups.
add unrefined cane sugar, a pinch of salt and whole milk. you can use white sugar instead.
stir and mix with a spoon.
cover and secure the instant pot with its lid and position the steam release handle to sealing.
press the porridge setting button which has an auto timing of 20 minutes.
after 20 minutes when you hear the beep sound, give a natural pressure release (npr) of 10 minutes.
after 10 minutes lift the steam release handle and when the float valve falls down, open the lid.
the rice would have formed a few lumps in some places. so break these lumps with a spoon. no need to break all the lumps. just mash a few.
add vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
add your choice of nuts. i added some and golden raisins.
press the sauté button and set time to 4 to 5 minutes on medium. once the beep sound is heard and you see the pudding simmering.
stir often so that the pudding does not burn or scorch from the bottom. break any lumps if any while stirring. you can cancel the sauté mode before the set time of 4 to 5 minutes. keep in mind the consistency you want as on cooling the pudding thickens more. stir and simmer till the rice pudding reaches the desired consistency.
serve pudding hot or warm or chilled. when serving garnish with some sliced almonds and raisins.
- the recipe can be easily scaled to double or triple the servings.
- can be easily made in a 3 quart instant pot.
- add your choice of nuts or dry fruits.
- ground nutmeg can be given a skip.
- you can add 1 tablespoon of butter if you prefer.
- any long grained rice or basmati rice or jasmine rice can be replaced with arborio rice. add 2.5 cups milk if using these rice grains.
Instant Pot Rice Pudding
Amount Per Serving
Calories 224 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Vitamin A 296IU6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin D 2µg13%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 38µg10%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
all our content & photos are copyright protected. a lot of time and effort is spent in researching, developing, testing and photographing recipes. please do not copy. as a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.