Grilled Lobster Tails slathered in garlic butter is the meal that dreams are made of!
Classy, fancy and incredibly easy to make, our grilled lobster tails recipe comes together in under 20 minutes! The perfect dinner to make for any occasion. The bonus? That garlic butter is SENSATIONAL!
GRILLED LOBSTER TAILS
Simple yet elegant, if you love grilled seafood, you will love grilled lobster tails. Being an expensive seafood, lobster is an epic indulgence that doesn’t need much added to it at all.
The only flavour combination that makes it even better is when it’s slathered in garlic, butter and herbs. They taste like they just came out of a five-star restaurant kitchen!
PREPARE LOBSTER TAILS
Buy lobster tails that are similar in size so that they cook at the same time.
- Use sharp kitchen shears to cut through the shell, from the top of each tail up to where the body used to be.
- Placing a knife into the cut you made, cut through the lobster meat all way to through to the bottom shell, cutting the tail in half so that one tail turns into two. Cutting lobster tails in half lengthwise allows the meat to cook directly onto the grill plates, giving the surface a chance to char all over with a great bbq flavour.
FRESH OR FROZEN LOBSTER TAILS?
We buy frozen and thaw them overnight in the refrigerator. If you’re in a hurry and need to thaw them faster, place them in a pot filled with cold water for about half an hour. Please don’t be tempted to microwave them or put them in hot water. Go slow and do it right.
HOW TO GRILL LOBSTER TAILS
Once you’ve halved your lobster tails, pat the flesh dry with paper towel, brush them with a little olive oil, then season with coarse salt (like sea salt) and cracked black pepper.
Place the lobster tails flesh-side down onto grill, and cook undisturbed for about 5 minutes. This allows the meat to grill properly without sticking to the grill plates. Flip the lobster over and brush the flesh with melted garlic and herb butter.
Cover with bbq lid or foil to help the shells turn a beautiful shade of orange from the smoke on the bbq, and grill until JUST cooked through.
Serve immediately with a little extra garlic butter, lemon wedges and fresh parsley to garnish.
TIPS FOR THE BEST LOBSTER TAILS
- Lobster tails are ready when the flesh is opaque and the shell turns bright orange. Try not to overcook your lobster, as the meat will become dry and tough.
- If you don’t have an outdoor bbq, you can use an electric grill, stove top grill pan, or any other grill you have on hand.
If you’re aiming for a fancy seafood restaurant feel, serve with browned butter mashed potatoes or crispy roasted potatoes. For lighter sides, try grilled asparagus, green beans or a feta cucumber salad.
MORE LOBSTER RECIPES
Grilled Lobster Tails slathered in garlic butter is the meal that dreams are made of! Classy, fancy and incredibly easy to make, our grilled lobster tails recipe comes together in under 20 minutes! The perfect dinner to make for any occasion. The bonus? That garlic butter is SENSATIONAL!
Serves: 4 serves
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus extra to season
- Cracked black pepper
- 4 (8-oz | 250-g) lobster tails
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
Using kitchen shears, cut top of lobster shell from meaty portion of tail. Using a knife, cut the lobster tail in half lengthwise through meat down the centre.
In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, lemon juice, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Brush lobster meat all over with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Grill flesh side down until lightly charred, about 5-6 minutes. Flip lobster, brush meat with HALF of the garlic butter mixture. Cover with lid and grill until just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes more.
Remove lobster from grill and season with a little extra salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
Brush with remaining garlic butter and serve with lemon wedges.
Calories: 258kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 13g