Fried Cabbage with Bacon cooks in no time! An incredible low-carb and Keto approved side dish or main!
Perfect for your meal plans, fried cabbage is an easy throw-together recipe. Enjoy it on its own or as a side to go with buttery cauliflower mash, roast chicken, pork roast, or a juicy pan seared Steak with a mushroom cream sauce.
Deliciously seasoned tender fried cabbage and onions with crispy bacon is a family favourite. A quick one pot recipe suitable for any time of the year. Best thing is it’s inexpensive and reheats perfectly in your microwave.
Warning, it is addictive!
HOW TO FRY CABBAGE
There are so many different variations for fried cabbage online, but this is the one recipe we’ve loved for many years!
Why? Because, for ultimate flavour and true southern style cooking, you’re going to fry your shredded cabbage in bacon grease. YES! The flavour alone will change your life.
But you don’t need to go looking for bacon grease. You’re going to fry bacon first, get it nice and crisp, then remove it with a slotted spoon to keep as much grease in your pan as possible.
I love using a cast iron skillet for this recipe because:
- It helps to re-season your skillet while cooking the bacon, and
- Nothing provides flavour while frying foods like a well-seasoned cast-iron.
If you don’t have a cast-iron pan, use a good quality nonstick pan to prevent the bacon from sticking.
One ingredient I love adding in our fried cabbage is Cajun seasoning. I use Slap Ya Mama, but feel free to use on you already have on hand. You can replace it with a smoky, sweet or mild paprika, depending on your tastes.
OPTIONAL ADD INS
You can add in a few other ingredients to fried cabbage make it your own:
- Smoked sausage instead of bacon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (brown or white). For Keto readers, use a substitute sweetener, like Swerve or Natvia.
MORE SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 large head green or red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon, (or seasoned salt)
- Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, (I use Slap Ya Mama) or smoky paprika
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to a plate with a slotted spoon. Do not discard bacon drippings.
Sauté the onion in the bacon grease until the onion caramelizes (about 8 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
Stir in the cabbage and cook for a further 8 minutes while stirring occasionally. Season with the bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning (or paprika).
Mix bacon into the cabbage to warm through and serve.
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g