Easy Vegetable Stir Fry is a mixture of colorful vegetables sautéed in a sweet and savory sauce that makes for a simple weeknight meal! Less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish!
Easiest Vegetable Stir Fry
This is it! This is the recipe that gets me through the week! I love how simple and easy it is to cook and how delicious it tastes. There are so many variations to this recipe that it is perfect to make with a family.
Busy weeknights has me making 30 minutes or less recipes. They are easier and turn out to be, oh. so. good!
This past month I have been doing some meal prep and I decided to try this as well. I cooked it up on Sunday and added it into 5 days of lunches for me. It was simple to warm up and was filling all day.
The colors from the vegetables are so vibrant and blend so well together. You have a crunchy, soft and sweet texture that blends so well together leaving you wanting another bite.
My kids loved every bits of it and even asked for seconds. They loved it and wanted to
You can make this ahead, prepare it for dinner or freeze it for later. It is one stir fry that is simple, easy and delicious!
What is stir fry?
Stir frying is a Chinese cooking technique in which ingredients are fried in a small amount of very hot oil while being stirred in a wok.
The technique originated in China and in recent centuries has spread into other parts of Asia and the West.
Stir fry ingredients
I like to stir fry the vegetables that take a little longer to cook first. Like the carrots, mushrooms and baby corn. Then I add in the remainder ingredients. Broccoli, snow peas and the bell peppers do not take as long to cook.
- Olive Oil
- Vegetables: red bell pepper, yellow bell peppers, sugar snap peas, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, water chestnuts.
- Sauce: soy sauce, garlic cloves (minced), brown sugar, sesame oil, chicken broth, cornstarch
- Garnish: green onions and sesame seeds
How to make vegetable stir fry?
The first step is to cook up your veggies. I used a combination of red and yellow peppers, snow peas, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms. I also added some baby corn and water chestnuts into the mix for variety. While the veggies are cooking, I make a simple garlic and ginger sauce. The sauce gets poured over the veggies then is simmered until thickened. You can enjoy your veggie stir fry as-is, or over rice.
- Sauté: In a wok or large skillet add 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, peas, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, and water chestnuts. Sauté 2-3 minutes until veggies are almost tender.
- Whisk: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, chicken broth, and cornstarch.
- Mix: Pour over veggies and cook until the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish: add chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Other variations of stir fry
There are so many different ways to customize your veggie stir fry, the combinations are endless!
- Meat: add in some chicken, pork, shrimp, beef or tofu.
- Vegetables: asparagus, bean sprouts, celery, zucchini, cauliflower, onions or tomatoes add more of variety of vegetables.
- Nuts: almonds and cashews are great to stir in as well.
- Spicy: make it spicy by adding some heat with sriracha or crushed red pepper flakes.
Are stir fry vegetables healthy?
Stir-frying is a fast way to cook small pieces of food in a hot skillet or wok. In addition to being quick and easy, stir-frying is also healthy.
It results in tender-crisp vegetables that retain more nutrients than if they were boiled.
And since stir-frying requires only a small amount of oil, the fat content is low.
Tips for stir fry
- To help cook the vegetables at the same rate, make sure to cut into similar and smaller sized pieces.
- Store your vegetable stir fry in the refrigerator for 5 days. You can even meal prep!
- Baby corn and water chestnuts are found in cans down the ethnic food aisles.
- Make ahead the sauce for this vegetable stir fry. It will last in the refrigeratior for 3 days. You can freeze this for later use if needed.
What goes well with stir fry?
- White, brown or Fried Rice
- Lo Mein
Looking for more stir fry recipes? Try these!
The Easiest Vegetable Stir Fry
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish optional
In a wok or large skillet add 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, peas, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, baby corn, and water chestnuts. Sauté 2-3 minutes until veggies are almost tender.
In a small whisk together soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, sesame oil, chicken broth, and cornstarch.
Pour over veggies and cook until the sauce has thickened. Garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired
The Easiest Vegetable Stir Fry
Amount Per Serving
Calories 152 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 4701IU94%
Vitamin C 104mg126%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.