A Chocolate Chip Banana Bread that is moist with a soft crumb with gooey chocolate chips is a delight to have. And you will love this recipe which exactly delivers that.
A simple no fuss eggless, vegan baking recipe of making a quick sweet bread and that too with whole wheat flour.
Get My Secrets to Great Indian Food
Sign up for my FREE Beginners Guide to Delicious Indian Cooking
The recipe is a one bowl recipe and adapted from my eggless banana bread recipe. All you need are some ripe or overripe bananas. You can even add frozen bananas.
Most of my baking recipes are simple and utilize readily available pantry ingredients. This recipe falls in the same category of easy baking recipes.
I have compiled some Frequently Asked Questions which I often get on our youtube channel on my banana bread and banana cake recipe video during this time.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I add all purpose flour (maida)?
Yes, you can do that.
2. Can baking powder be skipped?
Replace with an overall total of ½ teaspoon of baking soda. So do not add the extra ¼ teaspoon of baking soda mentioned in the recipe. Also add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and vinegar which will reduce the soapy aroma of the soda a bit. You can even add 1 teaspoon of Eno (fruit salt).
3. Can I skip baking soda?
Add a total of 1.5 teaspoons baking powder.
4. Can I skip both baking powder and baking soda?
You can skip both only if you have Eno (fruit salt). Add 1 teaspoon of Eno (fruit salt).
5. What if I do not have chocolate chips?
You can add some chopped nuts & dried fruits or berries like cashews, almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, dried berries and many more.
6. Replacement for almond milk is?
You can use soy milk, cashew milk, rice milk, oats milk, light coconut milk (thin or medium consistency) or any vegan milk. If you are a vegetarian, you can add dairy milk.
7. Which chocolate chips to add?
For a vegan bread you can add vegan semi sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips (if you don’t mind a slight bitter taste) and cacao nibs. For a vegetarian version, add milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
8. What if I do not have vanilla?
You can easily skip vanilla and add aromatic spices instead – ground ginger powder, cinnamon powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder & ground pumpkin spice.
9. Can I add coffee?
Yes you can. Take 1 tablespoon coffee and sift it with the flour.
10. Can I add cocoa powder?
Of course. Take 2 to 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and sift it with flour. Do note that you may need to add ¼ cup almond milk more if using cocoa powder.
10. Can I skip sugar?
Yes of course. But replace it with maple syrup, jaggery (Indian unrefined cane sugar), coconut sugar, palm sugar or any sweetener. Just do not add honey as it becomes toxic when heated.
11. Can I bake it in the microwave?
If your microwave oven has convection mode, then only you can bake the recipe using the convection mode. In a purely microwave mode, the recipe may not work.
12. What should be the temperature or time when baking in convection mode or convection ovens (oven with fan) ?
For convection baking, bake at 165 or 170 degrees celsius or you can reduce the baking time by 15 to 20 minutes.
14. Why has my chocolate chip banana bread has become dense or hard?
Most of the times when eggless quick bread or cakes become hard, it is due to too much mixing or folding of the batter. So fold with light pressure from the hands and go easy. Do not overdo the folding part.
15. Why has the bread cracked or sunk?
If the bread cracks, this could be to a very high temperature in the oven. A sunk cake would be due to uneven heat in the oven. This happens when you open the door many times, leading to cold or cool air from the room going in the oven. So only open the oven door when the bread or cake is ¾ done.
How to Make Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
1. Peel and chop 2 large bananas and add them with 6 tablespoons raw unrefined sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Mash bananas very well with a potato masher or a fork. You can even mash both bananas and sugar in a blender.
3. Next add ¼ cup oil, ¼ cup almond milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
4. Mix very well till the mixture is homogeneous.
5. Sift 1.25 cups whole wheat flour (150 grams) with a pinch of salt, ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder. You can also sift the ingredients directly in the bowl containing the mashed bananas. Also preheat oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease with oil or line a loaf pan ( 8 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (8 x 2 inches) with parchment paper.
6. Below is a photo of the sifted dry ingredients.
7. Now add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet banana mixture. Also add 6 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips (vegan). Substitute with chopped nuts if you do not have chocolate chips.
8. Using the cut and fold technique, fold gently the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over do this step. Fold with light pressure from your hands.
9. The batter should not look gluey or doughy. It should have volume and look like a cake batter.
10. Pour in a greased loaf pan. Level neatly from the top with a spatula. Tap the pan lightly a couple of times on the kitchen countertop.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius or or 356 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes or till the top crust is golden.
12. Check the quick bread with a fork or bamboo skewer and it should comes out clean.
13. Keep the sweet bread on a wired rack to cool at room temperature.
14. When completely cooled at room temperature, gently remove the bread from the pan. Serve or store in an air-tight box and refrigerate.
15. Slice chocolate chip banana bread and serve as a dessert or as a sweet snack.
Many of my recipes have detailed step by step photos and useful tips to help you make it easily and perfectly.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Whole Wheat, Eggless, Vegan)
Moist, soft Chocolate Chip Banana Bread made with whole wheat flour. The recipe is also eggless and vegan.
Servings (change the number to scale):10
slices or 1 loaf
(1 CUP = 250 ML)
- 1.25 cups whole wheat flour or 150 grams – leveled
- 6 tablespoons unrefined sugar or 60 grams raw sugar, can also use white sugar
- 2 large bananas or or 1 and ⅓ cup chopped bananas or 280 grams bananas (with peels)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips (vegan), 60 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder – leveled
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda – leveled
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup almond milk or any vegan milk
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or any neutral tasting oil
Grease with oil or line a loaf pan ( 8 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (8 x 2 inches) with parchment paper.
In a bowl mash chopped bananas with sugar very well.
Add oil, almond milk, vanilla and mix very well till the mixture is homogenous.
Sift whole wheat flour with salt, cinnamon powder, baking soda and baking powder in a tray or plate.
Add the sifted ingredients to the wet banana mixture.
Add chocolate chips. Substitute with nuts if you do not have chocolate chips.
Fold gently. Do not over do this step.
Pour in a greased loaf pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 to 40 minutes or till a fork or bamboo skewer comes out clean.
Keep the sweet bread on a wired rack to cool at room temperature.
When completely cooled at room temperature, gently remove the bread from the pan. Serve or store in an air-tight box and refrigerate. Stays good for a couple of weeks in the fridge. You can even freeze the bread.
Slice chocolate chip banana bread and serve as a dessert or as a sweet snack.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Whole Wheat, Eggless, Vegan)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 204 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 15IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin K 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 11µg3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
all our content & photos are copyright protected. a lot of time and effort is spent in researching, developing, testing and photographing recipes. please do not copy. as a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.