No yeast, No problem! This recipe is a light and fluffy buttery bread that is filled with a special ingredient that substitutes for yeast. You guessed it, beer! With this six ingredient recipe you will be sure to please your family with this homemade buttery beer bread recipe!
Forget about yeast for this recipe. But if you are one of the lucky ones that has found yeast here are a few of my favorite homemade bread recipes like grandma’s perfect homemade bread recipe, focaccia bread recipe or this miracle no knead bread.
Buttery Beer Bread
I am so excited to share this irresistible buttery beer bread with you! It is so easy to make and no need to have yeast. Yep! That’s the best part! Yeast is a hot item right now and I knew that we all needed some carbs at this point. Buttery beer bread is delicious and flavorful. Once you make your first loaf you will wonder why you haven’t made this yet. It is one of the best homemade breads ever!
Let me tell you, it is all pantry staple ingredients that is simple to mix together and bake all in one day. It is that fun and easy! Homemade bread is one of my very favorite things to eat. Pair it with your favorite soup, slow cooker meal or just enjoy it warm and fresh out of the oven. Enjoy it anyway you want it!
Beer can be a scary word for some people. I know we don’t drink it or promote it but with this combination it creates a homemade bread skipping the yeast. If you are not a beer fan in general you don’t have to worry about the taste either. There is no beer taste, no alcohol in the bread and no way to get a little tipsy with this bread recipe. It is family friendly, kid friendly and full of flavor without the beer taste. Give it a try and see how amazed you will be!
What is Beer Bread?
Beer bread is a quick and simple bread recipe that has a special flavoring added to it. Can you guess? It is a bottle of beer. I know I don’t encourage alcohol and don’t drink it myself but this bread recipe is all about it. The crazy part is, the beer actually bakes right out of the bread as it is baking at a high temperature.
Since there is a limit on yeast, this beer bread sounded perfect to me since there is no yeast in this bread. The beer is acting in place of the yeast for this bread recipe. With the help of baking powder this combination creates one amazingly delicious bread that is over the top delicious. Don’t let the beer scare you away. It is even safe for kids of all ages. As the beer bread is baking the beer in the ingredients does and will bake out of the bread leaving it totally kid and adult alcohol free.
You would say this recipe is pretty easy! All the ingredients are staple pantry items plus only 6 ingredients. It is crazy to think that these ingredients are going to make such a soft and moist bread recipe. Within a few minutes this homemade bread recipe will be ready to bake and smell all throughout your home. Enjoy a warm slice of bread soon enough!
- Flour: This helps thicken and stick all the ingredients together.
- Baking Powder: Has a special power by creating a yeast with the beer can.
- Salt: Fine sea salt works really well.
- Brown Sugar: Sweeten the bread a bit with some brown sugar.
- White Sugar: Adds that sweet and sugary taste to the beer bread.
- Beer Can: Go with your favorite or try something new. The main reason for the beer is not for flavoring but for creating a yeast with the baking powder.
- Butter: The butter helps give it that soft butter taste and look on the inside as well as a thick and crispy crust on the outside.
How to Make Beer Bread:
No need to worry about the beer. The alcohol will bake right out of the bread. Its purpose is focused on creating a simple combination of yeast to help make this homemade bread. The new way of making bread at home!
- Mix ingredients together: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the brown sugar and white sugar. Add the beer and mix together until it forms a dough.
- Spread the dough in a pan: In a 9×5 inch greased loaf pan spread the dough evenly. Pour melted butter on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
It is best to use a darker beer for the flavoring but a lighter beer will also work.
Beer Bread Variations:
Let’s customize your bread! These variations are always fun suggestions on how to create more than just one recipe.
- Honey: A touch of honey creates a sweeter bread that is comforting and will melt in your mouth, it is that good!
- Herbs and seasonings: Mix in your favorite fresh or dried herbs to have more flavors. Rosemary or thyme are some of my favorites!
- Garlic: Garlic seems to be in everything and loved by most. Add in a clove or two to the batter and smell it while it is baking!
- Cheese: Sprinkle shredded cheese in the batter or over top and make a cheesy beer bread.
- Spicy: I do love a little heat. Add in jalapeños or green chilies for some spicy bread variations.
Tips For the Best Beer Bread:
These tips are helpful and can make this beer bread even better!
- Beer: I do not drink beer so I am not an expert but I have found as I am cooking and baking that a darker beer is best. It adds more flavor. I have tried a few different beers in my bread recipe and so far the darker seems to have the most flavor. Not to worry though, it is a buttery, moist and delicious flavor that doesn’t taste like beer at all.
- Substitute: If you are worried about too much sugar, substitute the sugar with the same amount of honey.
- Slicing the bread: It is best to use a serrated sharp knife when slicing the bread. This will give it a clean and crisp cut every time.
Serve this buttery beer bread with your favorite topping or as a side dish! Just beware, this bread is the best and won’t last long!
- Spread honey and butter over top
- Butter and jam is always a classic
- Add it as a side dish to soup like chili, vegetable or a thick bean soup.
- Have a side dish to your favorite stew or slow cooker meal.
Best Way to Store:
It is best to store this bread at room temperature in a sealed bag. It will stay fresh for about 3 to 5 days long. This beer bread recipe does not need to be stored in the refrigerator. It will actually dry out the bread as well as go stale more quickly.
More Delicious Bread Recipes:
Buttery Beer Bread
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 12 slices
No yeast, No problem! This recipe is a light and fluffy buttery bread that is filled with a special ingredient that substitutes for yeast. You guessed it, beer! With this six ingredient recipe you will be sure to please your family with this homemade bread recipe!
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 12 ounce can beer
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the brown sugar and white sugar. Add the beer and mix together until it forms a dough.
In a 9×5 inch greased loaf pan spread the dough evenly. Pour melted butter on top. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
The alcohol in beer bread evaporated as it bakes.
Buttery Beer Bread
Amount Per Serving (1 slice)
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Vitamin A 236IU5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.