Authentic south Indian filter coffee recipe – Making south Indian coffee at home, is easy and simple when you learn how. Quick video tutorial and step by step instructions.
You heard it right, making filter coffee is simple. It all comes with practice, consistency and interest. I have to confess, I used to not like earlier because of the after taste/ smell in the mouth. But as years passed, I started loving the flavour. I thoroughly started enjoying the aroma of the powder. Seeing my Mom in law make the beverage religiously, made me also love the process of making. Vj being used to it, I wanted to learn and perfect the art of making filter coffee.
Reason for not making coffee?
What it happens in most of the households if either one in couple like coffee. But thinking to make coffee at home is a very time consuming, complicated and a lot of many other reasons. you refrain from learning/ making everyday. You settle with instant coffee, tea or other beverage? No it is not! This post is all about making you realize it is not at all how complicated you think.
About Mysore concerns:
Couple of weeks back, I received a kit from Mysore coffee concerns, Mumbai. They were very confident about their product, even after I told I will collaborate only if I liked their product. As soon as I shared the unpacking in my stories, few of my friends already messaged me saying they already are using it and it is really good. I then only noticed they are one of the oldest establishments in Matunga, Mumbai. A family business that marks 81 years and 3 generations of hard work towards building the legacy!
Their beans are sourced from trusted coffee growers in Karnataka, hand roasted and ground in small batches to enhance flavour and create a traditional, smooth taste profile. Their vision has been to bring coffee to the Indian household and make home-brewing easy and enjoyable.
Discount to my follower friends:
I was super excited to try out the coffee and on my very first brew, I loved it a lot. It was a perfect balance of flavour, taste and colour. It has 80% coffee and 20% chicory.
Convinced and new to make filter coffee? Order here. Use promotional code RAKSKITCHEN15 avail 15% discount on your entire purchase. Orders are dispatched within 1-2 days and a FLAT SHIPPING FEE of Rs.60 which is regardless of the order quantity. They ship across India and currently International Shipments are not available.
Below is the kit I received from them. It is perfect if you want to start making authentic filter coffee at home. It has a tumbler -dabara set, filter, Brindavan bold coffee ground, a cheat sheet for beginners to make authentic filter coffee, customizable fridge magnet, 4 coasters. That tumber set is so cute and heavy/ sturdy good quality.
Authentic south Indian filter coffee method
Making authentic south Indian filter coffee at home is super easy with these simple steps. Just follow the recipe and enjoy perfect coffee at home
- 3 tbsp Coffee grounds heaped I used Mysore concerns
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups hot milk foamy
- 2 tsp sugar heaped
To brew coffee:
Take coffee ground and a south Indian filter.
Add 3 table spoons of coffee grounds in the upper strainer portion. Gently shake it and use the tamper to apply gentle pressure to press the coffee grounds (don’t press hard, do it lightly.
Assemble the strainer over receiver part (bottom). Pour 3/4th hot water which is heated just until bubbles start to appear in bottom.
Close lid and wait for 20-30 mins for decoction to get collected.
- Use a milk frother or pour from a height in between two cups to get foamy milk.
- Make sure milk is hot before mixing coffee. Reheated coffee doesn’t taste good.
- Brew coffee fresh for best results. Though we can store in fridge, it looses flavour.
- Choose right filter size.
Authentic south Indian filter coffee method:
- Take coffee ground and a south Indian filter. Add 3 table spoons of coffee grounds in the upper strainer portion.
- Gently shake it and use the tamper to apply gentle pressure to press the coffee grounds (don’t press hard, do it lightly. Assemble the strainer over receiver part (bottom). Pour 3/4th hot water which is heated just until bubbles start to appear in bottom.
- Close lid and wait for 20-30 mins for decoction to get collected. Mean while which you can boil milk.
To make filter coffee:
- Take 1/4 cup of brewed coffee in each cup. Add 3/4 cup foamy hot milk to each cup.
- Mix sugar as needed and enjoy hot.
Enjoy the hot coffee immediately. Perfect coloured, flavourful coffee!
This is a sponsored post, but I have kept my views as genuine as possible without any influence.
Few points from me and few inspired from their cheat sheet that comes with the kit:
Make it a routine – As you might have seen many coffee lovers sharing quote – “But first coffee”
On wake up, just make it a point to brew coffee first. While it is, you can unload dishwasher/ Put away the dried vessels in place or do another chore.
- Practice makes perfect – First few tries you may or may not get it perfect. But by trial and error, or consciously following a recipe, you will sure perfect in no time! Adjust the measurements according to one’s personal preference, you will definitely perfect in some days and stick to it. It may take a couple of tries to get it right, but when you do, the feeling you get is priceless 🙂
- Stick to the same brand – Experiment with different coffee bean varieties, ratios, roast and find one brand that suits your taste. Make sure it is always available and stick to a brand.This will help you perfect the recipe. Ask expert friends who makes coffee where and how they get it, follow them.
- Enjoy the process – It should be simple, don’t stress over it. Just a few steps of brewing coffee in half sleep in early morning!
Do leave comments if you have any doubts in making filter coffee. Happy to share what I know👸